Chocolate Crust Ingredients:
- 1 cup pecans
- 5 dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder or carob with chocolate extract to taste
Chocolate Almond Fudge Cake Filling Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups of cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup raw cacao powder or 1 cup carob powder with chocolate extract to taste
Chocolate Crust Instructions:
- In a food processor, combine all crust ingredients and pulse until sticky.
- Press into the bottom of spring form pan.
Chocolate Almond Fudge Cake Filling Instructions:
- Put all ingredients into high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Save one cup of filling and set aside.
- Pour rest of filling into spring form pan and spread evenly.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After one hour, pour 1 cup of filling into piping bag and pipe over frozen cake in preferred design.
- Return to freezer for 3 more hours or until serving.
Nutritional benefits of this recipe:
Raw cacao contains polyphenols, a compound believed to include cardiovascular benefits. The polyphenols are made of 37 percent catechins, 4 percent anthocyanins and 58 percent proanthocyanidins. These polyphenols have been shown to improve heart health and brain health by distributing antioxidants that inhibit blood platelets from clotting. If you suffer from high cholesterol, these polyphenols may lower low-density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol and raise high-density lipoprotein or good cholesterol! (1)
If you choose to use carob, you won’t miss out on health benefits. Carob contains Gallic acid that works as an antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic. It improves digestion and lowers bad cholesterol. It contains no caffeine and therefore benefits people who suffer from high blood pressure. Regular carob consumption has been shown to prevent lung cancer. Carob contains vitamin E which helps treat cough, flu, and anemia. (2)
Sources for this article include: